Smoothies are considered as a healthy food you can drink. Of course, smoothies are healthy as you make them to be…and usually people do make healthy smoothies. We listed 10 ingredients you add to your smoothie to make it as healthy as possible.
Mens sana in corpore sano.
A healthy mind in a healthy body. This motto know to everyone was coined in the year 55 AD by the Roman poet Juvenal. The idea that intellectual and physical health cannot be fully separated i.e. are dependent of one another was known even in the antics… And in today’s modern, sedentary oriented world, this notion comes as particularly relevant. Now more than ever people must be aware that no one else but themselves will look after their health.
There are a few ways how we can keep our body and mind healthy:
- Regular physical exercise
- Regular mental exercise (reading, doing quizzes, puzzles, mind games…)
- Healthy diet
For this article, we will focus on healthy diet, and more precisely superfood you can add into your smoothie to make sure you’re have a healthy meal.
10 healthy superfoods you should use in your smoothie
Sometimes maintaining good food habits becomes quite a task…especially when you don’t have enough time and are always in a rush to work, have small kids, etc. A good blender and a smoothie recipe are your friends in this case, and in a matter of minutes your healthy meal is done!
You just need to follow one of the many, many recipes you can find online…ad even if you don’t have all the ingredients usually you can’t go wrong (and if you go wrong, you’ll know it and won’t repeat it). However, there are some super-healthy ingredients you should keep in your kitchen at any point. This will not only keep you full and energized, but also provide you with all the nutrition you require.
So what are these superfoods you should be adding to your smoothie?
- Green tea – is super-rich with antioxidants; helps boost your immunity
- Chia seeds – amazing power-seeds that covers all healthy fats and protein requirements of your body
- Cashews - is an ingredient that is most often use as a substitute for protein powder in a smoothie
- Hemp seeds – are the richest plant-based source of protein! They are loaded with omega-3, omega-6, protein, vitamin-E, and minerals.
- Spinach – is one of the heathiest foods! It’s packed with vitamins, and has multipurpose anti-cancerous properties. It has mild taste and is easy to disguise it with other ingredients.
- Blueberries – an anti-aging berry; one of the highest antioxidants
- Cucumber – is 95% water! As such it is fantastic detoxifier and especially helps with liver and kidney functions
- Banana – very rich in fibers and potassium, banana is one of the smoothie must haves as it also adds creaminess and a bit sweetness
- Ginger – greatly supports the immune system
- Greek yogurt – a must ingredient in many smoothies. Greek yogurt has double the protein and half the carbs as regular yogurt. It also adds density and “fullness” to the smoothie texture.
How to prepare a smoothie?
For start, you should have a blender, or some multipurpose juicer.
We can recommend Acekool Blender BC2.
This 1450W 2L Smoothie Blender comes with a detachable convenient pitcher. Here some quick specs:
- 1450 peak watts brings high performance;
- 67oz /2L capacity making drinks for the whole family;
- 4 preset programs for ice, smoothie, juice, and grind;
- 25000 RPM allows you to grind nuts and sugar cubes;
- 8-blade stainless steel blades save your cooking time.
…and here is a quick recipe for a refreshing watermelon smoothie
- Ice (cubes)
- Greek yogurt (if not a fan of yogurt, you can put bananas instead)
Put cut watermelon pieces in the blender, add ice cubes, and mix them until ice cubes are crushed into smaller pieces. Add Greek yogurt (or bananas) and blend is some more. Make sure not to “over-blend” it, it is actually nicer when you can feel the texture of the small ice parts. And there you have it, simple as that.